DAOD 1002-0, Personal Information
Date of Issue: 2004-10-01
Application: This is a directive that applies to employees of the Department of National Defence ("DND employees") and an order that applies to officers and non-commissioned members of the Canadian Forces ("CF members").
Supersession: NDHQ Instruction ADM(Per) 7/83, Privacy Act - DND Implementation
Approval Authority: This DAOD is issued under authority of the Assistant Deputy Minister (Finance and Corporate Services) (ADM(Fin CS)).
Enquiries: Director Access to Information and Privacy (DAIP)
In this DAOD, the following terms have the same meaning as in section 3 of the Privacy Act:
- "government institution"; and
- "personal information".
In their day-to-day operations, government institutions collect and use personal information in support of a variety of authorized programs.
The purpose of the Privacy Act is to protect the privacy of individuals by preventing others from having unauthorized access to their personal information and to ensure that individuals have a right of access to their personal information under the control of a government institution. It gives individuals the right to know what use can be made of this information and to whom and for what purposes their personal information may be disclosed. It also provides individuals with the opportunity to correct inaccurate or omitted information.
The DND and the CF are committed to:
- providing every individual who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident within the meaning of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, or is present in Canada, with a right of formal or informal access to their personal information under the control of the DND or the CF, subject to specific exemptions contained in the Privacy Act;
- providing protection against unauthorized disclosure of personal information;
- imposing strict controls over how the DND and the CF collect, use, retain, store, disclose and dispose of personal information; and
- responding to Privacy Act requests within the statutory 30-calendar day time limit or such extended periods of time as may be allowed under the Act.
Consistent with the Privacy Act and the policy requirements in the Treasury Board's policy on Privacy and Data Protection, the DND and the CF must ensure that:
- internal policies and directives pertaining to formal and informal privacy requests are established and promulgated;
- training sessions and awareness briefings are conducted to promote the existence and requirements of the Privacy Act and to instruct DND employees and CF members on policy and procedures;
- guidance is provided to DND employees and CF members seeking advice on the Privacy Act; and
- compliance is monitored and violations of the Privacy Act are noted and remedied.
The following table identifies the authorities associated with the implementation of this DAOD:
|The...||has the authority to...|
Minister of National Defence
- Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- DAOD 1001-0, Access to Information
- DAOD 1001-1, Formal Requests for Access to Departmental Information
- DAOD 1001-2, Informal Requests for Access to Departmental Information
- DAOD 1002-1, Requests under the Privacy Act for Personal Information
- DAOD 1002-2, Informal Requests for Personal Information
- DAOD 1002-3, Management of Personal Information
- MPPol & TP, Information Management: Release of Information and disclosure, Chapter 11
- Defence Subject Classification and Disposition System
- Info Source - Sources of Federal Employee Information, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat